Sunday, May 11, 2014

Who taught you to sew?

Do you remember who taught you to sew? My mother started teaching me to sew when I was just 3 years old. I have 3 sisters and all 4 of us learned to sew at an early age. By the time I was 10 I was making my own clothes. It takes a lot of work for a mother to sew clothing for 4 daughters so teaching us to sew was a necessity!

Here is my favorite mother's day picture. It was take in 1998 at St. James Episcopal Church in Marietta, GA. It is the day my mother was baptized. She was 84. She never attended church but sent us girls every Sunday morning. I think it must have been her peaceful hour at home each week.



When Mom moved to assisted living her card playing friends encouraged her to attend the Methodist Sunday School with them. They had all been in the same class for years and years but they welcomed Mom, a newcomer. When they learned she wasn't baptized they were mortified. So Mom asked me, an Episcopal Deacon to baptize her; and so I did on Mother's Day. I am in the photo with Mom, my two oldest daughters Elaine and Ellen, and their six children. I really, really love this picture, especially on Mother's day when we were all together for such a special event.

No comments:

Post a Comment